mIt’s that time of the year again where I write up my favorite memories from the year.
The BIG stuff!!!
- I ran a 50 Miler – Race report here
- We got married!
- We went on our honeymoon in Hawaii on O’ahu & the Big Island
Other amazing memories from 2017:
- Holiday Parties (Physicians Insurance, Seattle Green Lake Running Group, Seattle Green Lake Triathlon Group, Diana’s Holiday Party with Adopt a Family)
- Bachelorette Party for Tara!
- Tara & Evan’s Wedding in February
- Ice skating event in February with SGLRG/SGLTG
- Many trail runs with friends including Paul and he and his wife’s dog Cooper, Katie, Stephanie, Carol, Liz, Brook & Phil, and many more. Paul & Suzanna might not know this but they are 2 of my most favourite people in Seattle and I look up to them. Suzanna was a big help during my job search this year too. I am thankful to the many people who stuck their neck out for me during my job search, including Wismar.
- Spin classes with Melody & Carol. Yes, we colour coordinate our shirts!
- Girl’s Weekend in Ocean Shores with Tracie’s amazing cooking
- Trip to Nashville for work and weekend in Birmingham, AL to spend time with my sister Kelly, nephew Joe, and brother-in-law Doug (and to go wedding dress shopping!)
- Easter at Gene’s parents. We finally got to meet their neighbours and their son Evan who spends a lot of time with Gene’s parents. Gene taught Evan how to play the card game Egyptian Ratscrew and Evan came up with a hillarious nickname for Gene, “Skinny Jeans”. Gene hates skinny jeans.
- Sun Mountain 50K in May – This was actually more difficult to me than my 50 Miler and 70.3. I started the race with my friend Katie but lost her at mile 10. My friends were waiting for me at the finish and I said, “That was the hardest f*(#)$^ that I’ve done”, and they gave me big hugs. Then Emily Ann got me a cup of electrolytes and a giant plate of food and Ross caught it all on camera. I have the greatest friends! I love my trail buddies!!! Meanwhile Carol was still out there running a 100K. I could not think of doing that course twice.
- Echo Valley 50K in June – This was my easiest 50K to date. It was so easy I decided to accidentally do a loop twice and add an extra 5 miles. At mile 30 I twisted my ankle and later iced that with a fabulous can of Pabst Blue Ribbon. What else? It is one of my most favourite races so much I would do it EVERY year if I could. They serve the runners dinner the night before at a winery, and you can go swimming in Lake Chelan after for recovery. Best weekend get away EVER! And the trails are pretty spectacular.
- Seafair 8K & Seafair Parade – Gene & I do this every year but the race was cancelled it 2016 so we were happy it was back. I was still recovering from my 50M but was happy to get back out there.
- White River 50 Miler in August – I went to volunteer and see friends finish White River 50 Miler. The race looked grueling in the smoke from the fires and the heat. I am amazed by their feat! I was so excited to see my friends Sharvil, Brook and Carol finish!
- Pratt Lake & Lake Tuscohatchie Trail run with Katie
- Started Strength Training – I was one of those bad runners who never strength trains. With my 50M training, I developed terrible sciatica and it was obvious at the end of that race from how painful my back was that my core was really weak. I took up pilates in August to fix my sciatica and weak core. And then come September, I decided to take up strength training. I completed Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred twice and then did Ripped in 30. I loved it so much, I’m sticking to it.
- Mt. Baker Car Camping & Hiking Trip with Katie in September – Yellow Aster Butte Hike and Chain Lakes Hike – Most amazing views ever! I cannot wait to do this again next year! Everyone must come. It is the best time and incredibly gorgeous out there. I can’t believe I had never been to Mt. Baker not in the winter time before. So amazing.
- Viking Disco with Carol and Angel
- TWO Bachelorette Parties! I count myself very lucky to have so many amazing friends in my life. I ended up having two bachelorette parties, one surprise bachelorette party with a group of friends I’ve had since 2008 in Seattle wine tasting in Woodinville and one with my sister-in-law Megan and all my running and triathlon girlfriends in Seattle/the Eastside organized by my friends Katie & Stephanie pumpkin picking at my favourite pumpkin picking farm, Jubilee Farm, followed by Puerto Rican food at La Isla.
- All the wedding festivities! Tara went with me for my dress alterations, makeup shopping, and lunch. I met my old co-workers for lunch and to pick up the flowers for our wedding. We threw a big house party after the wedding on November 4th – the first time I’ve ever cooked for that many people! My co-workers decorated my office for when I got back from the wedding.
- Other special mentions: Time spent with Maddie, Kellina, Tracie & Scott (I never see enough of you!), and Lara Nield (even though she moved all the way across the country; I still find myself messaging her for advice. I miss her so much! And wish one day… the Nields will move back to WA. Fingers crossed.)
I’m sure I’m forgetting things from the year. But, it’s been an incredible year, despite Trump being in office and my boss being fired 2 months ago. 😉 I couldn’t ask for better memories, friends, family, & adventure. ❤